Summer, particularly this year with such high temperatures and a string of heatwaves, is the time of the year with the highest risk of suffering from heatstroke.
It is a condition in which the body is unable to regulate its temperature through the usual mechanisms.
This results in increased body temperature and loss of water and mineral salts, which endangers the correct functioning of the organism.
Symptoms of heatstroke
- Anybody can suffer heatstroke: the elderly, babies, people with heart conditions, people with obesity and athletes. You should keep well hydrated throughout the day.
- The first symptoms of heatstroke could go unnoticed and may be attributed to other causes, such as tiredness, headache, dizziness or queasiness, which is the first sign that there is an emergency.
- Other symptoms include muscle cramps, dry skin, feeling very thirsty and a dry mouth, excessive sweating and confusion.
Tips for your health from Best Health Insurance Spain :
How to prevent heatstroke
- The most important thing is to stay hydrated, preferably with water, avoiding caffeine and alcohol. Don’t have large meals; eat light meals throughout the day. Stay in a cool place and avoid the sun during the hottest times of the day.
- If you need to go out, protect your head. Clothing should be appropriate for the temperature and you should wear breathable garments, as sweating is the body’s main cooling mechanism.
- Athletes should drink plenty of water and isotonic drinks. The best time of the day for doing sport outdoors is at dawn and sunset.
What to do if someone has heatstroke
- Look out for the first symptoms, so that you can help reduce the body temperature by taking the person to a ventilated and shady area where you can cool down the skin using damp compresses. Give them some cold water (if they are conscious) and get them to lie down with their feet raised to favour circulation. Never give them any medication.
- If their temperature does not fall and they look pale or have a weak pulse, call a doctor so that they can assess the situation and act quickly