Most Brit expats will admit to the fact that the Guardia Civil are very vigilant when carrying out checks along the roads. The last thing you want is to miss a major requirement and in the process get fines or points on your license.

To help you avoid this, here are some of the required documents to have in your car (published in our web for Health Insurance in Spain):


The ITV (Inspeccion Tecnica de Vehiculos) is what is known as the MOT in the UK. For cars that are past four years, they have to pass the ITV. If the car passes, it gets a coloured sticker that is to be placed on the windscreen top. You also have to have the ITV report with you in the car always.

Log book/ Permiso de Circulacion

This is also legally required. It is a document that has information such as the car’s plate numbers, the name of the car’s owner among other important details.

Insurance Policy Document

It is also wise to have the insurance policy with you. The insurance document may not be compulsory to have for all the journeys, but in case of a traffic accident, you will need to produce the policy number to fill the Accident Agreement form.

European Accident Agreement

This is not a mandatory requirement, but it is prudent to have it in your car. Some expats say that they were informed not to fill this form. Nevertheless, this is incorrect. It comes to play in the event of an accident. In case you don’t have one, you can request one from your insurance company.

Perks of this form include greatly reducing the amount of time to compensation while it also amps the legal protection of the involved parties. In the event of an accident, fill in the drivers’ details, insurance policy numbers and try to write down witness details, as they can easily be contacted to testify.

Another perk to it is that it can filled in English.

Valid driving license

Expats driving in Spain have to have reached the minimum ages set for Spain residents, regardless of whether they are qualified drivers in their country of residence. Just because one has a foreign driving license does not mean that they can drive a vehicle unless they are 18 years.

Additionally, if you have been a resident of Spain for over two years, you have to renew the driving license into a Spanish one.

Spain is great country to be in but your experience could be cut short by a medical emergency.

To ensure that your family is covered, how about insuring them with one of our affordable health covers at Health Insurance Spain?



Click one of our contacts below to chat on WhatsApp

× How can I help you?